Monday, January 23, 2012

Sunnofa...

Days to San Juan: 124
Weight to lose: 43.8 pounds
Average daily weight loss needed: .35 pounds
Today's Loss: +1.0


Well, I'm about to get annoyed.

I lost a total of .4 pounds in week one in this quest. I ate about 95% clean (some extra salad toppings, and a naked burrito were my only issues this week), I ran sprints twice, I played high-intensity frisbee (just trust me), and I did push-ups to failure yesterday. I'm not going to say how few I did, as it's a bit sad, but I did them.

I drank water like it was going out of style, too. An average of 90 ounces a day, probably.

Some theories I have on why this is going on...

1. My body can't handle carbs like it used to.
I did have a medium potato last night, with only bacon and a little cheddar on top. And for lunch, I had some whole wheat chicken alfredo. Most carbs I've had all week, probably. And on Tuesday I had that white rice with beans in my naked burrito. I used to be able to eat complex carbs and drop weight, but maybe my body has changed? I'm going to go pretty low-carb this week to see what kind of difference it makes.

2. I'm retaining water.
I didn't do a lot of push-ups yesterday, but I did enough that my chest and arms are pretty tender. They are still enflamed, too. Looks and feels like I just finished a set. So, maybe the damage repair is causing my body to hold the water a little longer?

3. I'm just not doing enough.
I feel like this was a pretty healthy week. No cheat meals, no desserts, lots of salads and veggies, way more active. In 2007 and 2008, I dropped 96 pounds using that formula. But I'm older now, and it's possible my body has changed. Maybe I just need to kick up the effort a little more?

Listen, I don't expect to look like a fitness model in 124 days. But I'd like to look a lot better than I do now. I feel like what I've done this week would help me get there, but to not see any measurable results? It's tough to swallow.

One thing I do know is this: If losing weight and getting fit were easy, everybody would do it. No matter how annoying this first week has been, I just need to keep going, making the right choices, and seeing what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Just keep doing what you're doing. It'll work, just give it some time. Maybe stay away from the scale for a few weeks so you don't get neurotic about it.

    ReplyDelete